Change of Ownership

Listed below are some of the more common situations resulting in either change of ownership or change to the owner status. The column on the right describes the document(s) required to effect the change. (There may be some differences in the requirements due to laws in particular jurisdictions.) All changes must be submitted in writing and mailed to:

Whiting Oil & Gas Corporation
Attn:  Land Department
1700 Broadway, Suite 2300
Denver, CO 80290-2300

Sale of an Interest Conveyance filed of record in the county/parish in which the property is located
Ownership Change Due to Divorce Complete Divorce Decree including Settlement Agreement or recorded conveyance (if appropriate)
Ownership by Trusts/Partnerships Trust or Partnership Agreement, recorded document conveying the interest in property to the Trust/Partnership
Distribution from Trusts/Partnerships Dissolution of Trust or Partnership, if applicable, and recorded conveyances to beneficiaries
Changes in Trustee Instrument appointing successor trustee
Joint Tenancy and One Dies Death Certificate of Joint Tenant
Estate Proceedings
Owner died with a Will (testate)
Probate proceedings conducted in the state where the property is located
Death Certificate
Order Admitting Will to Probate
Letters Testamentary
Last Will and Testament
Evidence of payment of debts and taxes
Final Decree of Distribution or Judgment of Possession
Owner died with a Will (testate)
Probate proceedings conducted in a state other than the state where the property is located
All the documents listed directly above, plus documentation of ancillary probate proceedings opened in all affected states
Owner died without a Will (intestate)
(Laws of Descent and Distribution will apply as relevant)
Death Certificate
Letters of Administration
Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization
Order Confirming the Plan of Reorganization
Chapter 7 Order Naming Trustee of Bankruptcy Estate
Recorded conveyance (as appropriate)
  • All payees are required to provide SSN (social security number) or Tax ID (identification) #; otherwise Federal Law requires 28% withholding tax.
  • All documents effecting change of ownership must be filed of record in the county/parish where property is located.
Please retain your check details for future reference.